Job Shop SIG Forum

Welcome to the Job Shop Group Forum. All Visitors may look at all topics and their associated threads on this Forum. However only AILU Members and Registered Users are allowed to create new topics or contribute to an existing topic. Thus to participate in this Forum, please remember to first log-in. If you are not a Registered User, please follow this link to register.

Topic: Job Shop forum / Cutting with compressed air

Page: 1

Posted: 18-02-2009 14:09 by midtherm

I'm not sure if we have touched on this subject before, however.

Has anybody tried to cut using compressed air on a Bystronic machine?

Would it be possible to connect an air line to say the nitrogen feed and substitute nitrogen for compressed air?

I realise that parameters etc would have to changed, that is something that can be experimented with if the process is possible.

Posted: 18-02-2009 14:42 by Lpro

I am not familiar with Bystronic machines but it can be done with Trumpf so I reckon it can be done with them.

Dave

Posted: 18-02-2009 15:13 by Cirrus

midtherm said:

I'm not sure if we have touched on this subject before, however.

Has anybody tried to cut using compressed air on a Bystronic machine?

Would it be possible to connect an air line to say the nitrogen feed and substitute nitrogen for compressed air?

I realise that parameters etc would have to changed, that is something that can be experimented with if the process is possible.

Yes you could substitute air for nitrogen

Air has to be very clean and dry because it will be in contact with the focussing lens

You WILL get some dross on the underside can be exceptionally difficult to remove, we use high speed cutting on our Trumpf's which use 3.75ins focussing lens, Ø1.7 to Ø2.3mm nozzle tips and about 5 to 6 bar nitrogen. Tend not to use comp air simply down to the amount of back face cleaning needed. If you send parts out to customers with the dross more than likely you will get them returned!

Posted: 19-02-2009 16:36 by midtherm

I was thinking using air for cutting thin aluminium and plastic, I presume that the dross is not such a problem with these materials.

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a go and report back if it's any good.

Posted: 19-02-2009 18:24 by Microm1

Dross may be a problem with Aluminium it is difficult to cut very cleanly. However I think that this is more to do with balancing laser power and melt removal while keeping above the high peak power requirement to stop reflecting the beam and stopping cutting. With very thin material keeping it in focus enough is also a challenge.   So N2 O2 and Air all work.

For plastics it depends on which one. Many thermoplastics cut well with air. Indeed plastics that break down to a vapour (PMMA) cut excellently.

Neil